HERKIMER – Firefighters responded to a small attic fire in Herkimer midday Friday, said Herkimer Fire Chief John Spanfelner.
Firefighters were called to an apartment house at 318 Pleasant Avenue, near the corner of King Street, around noon Dec. 29, for a report of a fire. Upon arriving, they discovered a small fire in the center of the building, which firefighters were able to quickly extinguish.
The building landlord has not admitted to it, but fire officials believe the fire began as he attempted to use a blowtorch to warm up pipes, Spanfelner said. Following the fire and taking into account various other code violations that exist throughout the apartment house, the building has been shut down for the time being, he said. Water and power and gas have since been cut from the building.
Out of four apartments in the building, three were occupied, though it is unclear how many people lived there.
“We were unable to get an immediate count of how many are displaced because there were people staying there who weren’t supposed to be,” Spanfelner said, adding that there were a number of dogs and cats living in the apartments as well.
The Mohawk Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting those displaced.
No injuries were reported.
Herkimer fire and police departments responded to the scene.